Pattern Matching and Speed

I like to color replies to myself in my mailboxes.  Usually, for this
purpose, ~x is fine.  (My home computers are called shoggoth and yogmoth)

color index blue default "~x @mv3d\.com"
color index blue default '~x "(sh|y)og[gm]oth"'

However, not all mailers seem to include a References: field.  My
friend Mike uses one of them, so:

color index blue default '~f mike ~h "^In-Reply-To: <.*@(sh|y)og[gm]oth>$"'

This works admirably at coloring things, but, it seems to be rather
slow.  Although it is not so slow as to cause real problems, it's still
disconcerting to see the message lines sort of crawl down the screen,
even on what I consider to be a reasonably fast machine.

So, what can I do to make it faster?  Is there a more efficient way
for mutt to look at the In-Reply-To: header?  Could my regex(es) be
improved to be faster?  Can anyone recommend better/alternate ways to
detect messages that are replies to mine?  Maybe I could use formail
to copy the IRT header to a References: header.. would this be a good
idea?

Thanks and Happy Halloween,
 Allister

--