Re: Collapse all threads except the one you are on

... following David's laudable tradition of replying to oneself :-) ...

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:03:21AM -0400, Allister MacLeod wrote:
> Another option would be to use <collapse-all> in place of the first
> <collapse-thread>.  That way, unless you used ,C on a 100% collapsed
> view, it would collapse everything before moving to the next unread
> message.

Er..  scratch that.  Apparently I was mistaken about the behavior of
collapse-all.  I had thought it would recollapse everything if one
thread had been uncollapsed.. but it actually seems to just toggle to
the opposite state of the previous collapse-all.

In the process of testing this, I discovered that
<next-unread><collapse-thread> might not have the desired behavior
either.  When moving to a collapsed thread with an unread message, it
will remain at the head of the thread even when uncollapsing.  Thus,
if the new message is a followup, it will not be the current message
after the operation.

With C=<collapse-thread> and N=<next-unread>, you could do "C N C N",
which would properly select followups within the thread.
Unfortunately, I think it would fail miserably if the new message is,
in fact, the head of the thread.  Perhaps "C N C <previous-entry> N"
would work (unless the first N brings you to a thread-head at the very
beginning of the folder.)

Nanoo nanoo,
 Allister

--