Re: pedantry (was: i think my gpg is setup correctly..)

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 07:55:32PM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
> Someone sent me this privately, and I think this is a point worth
> answering on-list, mainly so I don't have to do it repeatedly.  I'll
> shut up about it after this.
>
> > Just curious:
> >
> > > [Ok, I'm frustrated by people's inability to use English correctly.
> >
> > No matter whether or not English is the posters mother tongue?
>
> No.  For example, the next message in the thread to which that message
> was a reply was clearly written by a non-native English speaker.  It
> would be silly for me to hold that against them.

I believe that's the whole point of using neutral languages, i.e.
languages which are nobody's mother's tongue, such as esperanto.  Using
such languages, everybody (or at least western languages speakers in the
case of esperanto) is equal with respect to the ability of expressing
ideas and to the ability of expressing them correctly, since everyone
has to make the effort of learning the language.

Ludovic.