Error - Adding NNTP patch

Sorry if this is duplicated, the first THREE times failed.

Mutt 1.4.1 on RedHat 9
I am pretty new to Unix, so please specify if you think I might not know

something (good chance I dont).

I downloaded:
mutt-1.4.1i.tar.gz
patch-1.4.1.vvv.nntp.gz

Then I did the following (as root):
cd ~/download
gunzip patch-1.4.1.vvv.nntp.gz

cd /usr/src
tar -xzvf ~/download/mutt-1.4.1i.tar.gz
cd mutt-1.4.1i

less patch-1.4.1.vvv.nntp
The first few lines of this file:
******
WARNING: Run the following script before configure:

aclocal -I m4
autoheader
cd m4
make -f Makefile.am.in
cd ..
automake --foreign
autoconf
******

So at this point I am a bit confused, so I decide I should patch
everthing first, then come back and take care of these instructions. I
also tried it the other way around, same problem.

cd mutt-1.4.1i
patch -p1 < ~/download/patch-1.4.1.vvv.nntp patch-1.4.1.vvv.nntptching
file ChangeLog.nntp patching file OPS patching file PATCHES ...

Looks good so far.
Now I apply the above instructions:
cd mutt-1.4.1i
aclocal -I m4
autoheader
**********
RNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

 WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
 WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
 WARNING: `acconfig.h':

  WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
  WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

   WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
   WARNING: documentation.

**********

cd m4
make -f Makefile.am.in
make: `Makefile.am' is up to date.

cd ..
automake --foreign
autoconf
**********
configure.in:296: error: do not use LIBOBJS directly, use AC_LIBOBJ (see

section `AC_LIBOBJ vs LIBOBJS'
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use
      m4_pattern_allow.
            See the Autoconf documentation.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Assuming that is command did complete successfully, I would have run:
./configure --enable-nttp make
make install

Just to make sure.

TIA,