Re: --enable-pop support - required?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:00:42PM -0400, David Fishburn wrote:

> If I am using fetchmail/procmail/ssmtp, I am guessing there is no
> requirement to have pop support enabled?

That is correct.

> I not sure what happens when the SMTP server is unavailable ...).

If no SMTP server is available, you can't send mail.  What is
confusing is that many mail clients today to the jobs of fetching,
procing, and sending all within the same program.  Switching to a
"unix" way takes a bit of an adjustment.  If you have fetchmail you
can get mail, if you have procmail you can filter it into different
places based a wide range of settings, and if you have SMTP you can
send mail.  Any part can be broken and the rest of them will keep
working (though it's hard to "proc" when you can't "fetch: :-).

Mutt works best as the "heart" of the system, taking in what is coming
and pushing out what is leaving.

BB

--
Bryan Bibb