PGP signature re-checked when showing or hiding headers

Hello,

is this normal behaviour, or am I doing something wrong? I have not found
anything in TFM (or I have searched the wrong way).

Let's say I'm looking at a message which is GPG encrypted or signed. Now,
whenever I press H to show or hide the headers, the GPG signature is
rechecked by mutt.

While this might not be a big issue on todays machines, it surely is on a
486 I'm using currently, where GPG takes considerable time to check the
signature.

I ask myself if I can configure mutt to not recheck the signature over and
over again which I have missed to find, or if this is by design. Are there
any reasons why this is the case?

Ah, I totally forgot, I'm using Mutt 1.3.28i (2002-03-13) (Debian Woody)
(yes, I know, you already know from the headers).

TIA,
   Spiro.