S/MIME in 1.5.4i

I've just compiled and installed 1.5.4i and everything seems to work
except S/MIME verification.

When compiling I configured like this:
./configure --prefix=~/custom/mutt-dev --enable-imap --with-ssl

No complaints during config, compile or install.

S/MIME signed messages show up signed (with the 's') on the index.
When I open them mutt reports that it's unable to verify the
signature.  At first I thought this was a problem with my OpenSSL
config but if I pipe the message (with '|') to the command:

openssl smime -verify

It verifies properly.  Am I missing something in .muttrc?  Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Dan