Re: New mail in a Maildir mailbox?

Josef,

On 2003-10-03 at 13:06 +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:59:26PM +0200, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:
> > * Josef Karthauser <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> [2003-10-03 11:31 +0100]:
> > > I've just switched over to using Maildir format mailboxes.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure why, but now mutt reports that there is new mail in a
> > > mailbox, even when all the messages there are clearly read.  Why should
> > > this be?
> >
> > It's working fine here. Are there any files in <maildir>/new of a
> > mailbox falsely reported to contain new mails?
> >

> Yes, there are files like this:
>
>     new/1064308825.2751_239.genius:2,S
>     new/1064308825.2751_263.genius:2,S
>
> They are not new though.  Marking the corresponding emails as new in
> mutt, and then reading them makes them move to the cur/ folder and fixes
> the problem.

Do you synchronize your mailboxes with an IMAP server using a program
such as isync or OfflineIMAP, by any chance?  I use OfflineIMAP myself
and seen the same problem a couple of time. I also fixed it by moving
"pseudo"-new messages into cur/. In other words, sometimes such program
mail fail, leaving behind a file in new/, which mutt properly (and
correctly) detect as a new mail.

FWIW, I haven't seen this type of error for a long time now, using
OfflineIMAP. I guess it may have been caused by some experiments
on my part. ;-)

I hope this helps.

Sergei