Re: NFS mailbox locking problems

Re: NFS mailbox locking problems [Andrew Cheadle <amc4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tue, Sep
30, 2003 at 12:49:46PM +0100,
<Pine.LNX.4.58.0309301235060.29432@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>]
> I get the following error and my mbox is not opened.
>
> fcntl: No locks available (errno = 37)

It is a bad idea to use mbox folders on NFS mounts, because locking is a
problem, especially in /var/mail. If you mail arrives while mutt writes
changes in the folder back, new (or old) mail will be lost.

You can use mbox folders in $HOME if nothing else on a different host
(e.g. procmail) touches the folders.

In your case, I'd poll for new mail with POP and put it somewhere in
$HOME, never touching /var/mail directly.

Christoph