Duplicate messages

I am a newbie mutt user.  I am temporarily back to another e-mail
program because my new mutt set-up is getting a lot of duplicate
messages.  I assume, athough I don't know for sure, that this is due to
some interaction between fetchmail and the pop set-up at my ISP.  Or
perhaps due to something with procmail.

But maybe 20 percent of the messages I'm getting are dupes.  Usually
with the same time stamp.  It appears that they're being downloaded
twice, perhaps not being purged from the mailbox at the ISP the first
time around, but I can't see why.  I can't see any pattern yet in the
dupes.  Some are from mailing lists, others regular e-mails.

Does anybody have any notion why this is happening, and how to fix it?
Thanks...

Seth Williamson
Floyd, VA
USA