Mutt on Debian unstable: problem with macro after upgrading

Guys,

I've upgraded Mutt on my debian box to 1.5.4+20030913-1, and now I'm
having a little problem with a macro.

For mailboxes with mailinglists I'm using this:

macro index <F5> <read-thread><next-new-then-unread> "read thread"

to mark uninteresting threads, and skip to the next (new) one.

Now, say I have 10 new threads, when I'm on the first thread and press
F5, mutt jumps to the 3rd thread, instead of the 2nd. This continues:
when I'm on the 3rd thread, and press F5, mutt jumps to the 5th
thread. It always skips the next thread....

How should I debug this ?

I already sent a message to the debian list, to see if it could be a
build problem, but got no confirmation...

Thanks,
Dick