'timeout' ignored?

I have a rather sluggish IMAP inbox, and I've noticed with the latest
(Debian; unstable) mutt that the 'timeout' variable appears to be
ignored.  I'm not sure whether this is Debian specific or not; judging
by the changelog.Debian it shouldn't be.

Version of the deb package: 1.5.4+20030913-1

Relevant muttrc stuff:
set spoolfile=imaps://my.mail.server/INBOX
set folder=imaps://my.mail.server/mail/
set mail_check=60
set timeout=60
set mbox="=archives/general"

Why do I think 'timeout' is ignored?  Simple.  I set it `mail_check' to
5.  Now, according to the docs, the mail check should only occur after
60 seconds of keyboard inactivity.  What happens, OTOH, is that mutt
pauses exactly every 5 seconds, for about 3 seconds (duration to do the
IMAP mail check), `timeout' be damned.

Any suggestions, patches, is this a known issue?

--
Maciej Kalisiak       mac "at" dgp.toronto.edu       www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac