Re: pgp signing

Thus spake Dave Ewart:
> On Tuesday, 09.09.2003 at 16:36 +0100, A. S. Budden wrote:
>
> > Just noticed a bit of an odd problem.  If I send an email and select
> > the pgp sign option, it asks me for my passphrase as expected.  If I'm
> > in an xterm (konsole actually) it works fine, if I'm in a virtual
> > console (I think that's what it's called -- what you get by typing
> > Ctrl-Alt-F1), it fails.  Having investigated this, I think it's got
> > something to do with the fact that in my password (I hope I'm not
> > giving too much away here), there is the pound sign (as in GBP --
> > pounds sterling, shift-3 on a UK keyboard).  If I type this symbol at
> > the terminal prompt, it appears as expected, but if I type it in any
> > of the mutt prompts, nothing happens at all.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any suggestions please?
>
> <serious>Change your passphrase!</serious>

Why?  It works in virtually every situation I use it (with the exception
of the above), the pound sign is on every keyboard I ever use or am
ever likely to use and I would guess (probably with no foundation at
all) that it's not likely to be used in any brute force hacking
algorithms.

If you're going to tell me to change my passphrase in a <serious> way,
you could at least give me, say, ONE good reason...

Al