pgp signing

Hi there,

Just noticed a bit of an odd problem.  If I send an email and select the
pgp sign option, it asks me for my passphrase as expected.  If I'm in an
xterm (konsole actually) it works fine, if I'm in a virtual console (I
think that's what it's called -- what you get by typing Ctrl-Alt-F1), it
fails.  Having investigated this, I think it's got something to do with
the fact that in my password (I hope I'm not giving too much away here),
there is the pound sign (as in GBP -- pounds sterling, shift-3 on a UK
keyboard).  If I type this symbol at the terminal prompt, it appears as
expected, but if I type it in any of the mutt prompts, nothing happens
at all.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Al