[IP] more on 4 more plus comment on Gilmore vs DOJ

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 17, 2004 6:59:52 PM EDT
To: Mike Rain <ip@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Farber <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on 4 more plus comment on Gilmore vs DOJ

Subject: Re: [IP] more on New Website: John Gilmore vs. 'Papers, Please'

But I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why I should disagree with Mr. Bray on this issue. I just don't feel oppressed in any way when an airline asks for my ID.

I also am not feeling "oppressed" merely because an airline asks for my ID. However, I do tend to feel that there is merit in John Gilmore's complaint.

The reason that I agree is this: I usually look at the disclosure of my identity as part of mutual exchange: I disclose my id or other personally identifiable information in exchange for some benefit.

The present situation makes that kind of implicit bargain rather difficult: I am being forced to disclose my personally identifiable information for a not particularly clear benefit to myself or to society at large.

Moreover, given the poor protection of privacy in the US there is little basis for me to believe that if I do make the disclosure that the information won't be put to other improper uses.

                --karl--