[IP] Lingo no longer VoIP service from hell but kid on the block trying very hard

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gordon Cook <cook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 14, 2004 4:09:24 PM EDT
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx, dewayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jeff@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Lingo no longer VoIP service from hell but kid on the block trying very hard

for your respective lists

I owe folk an up date. When Dave Posted my email to IP, it worked. The next morning at about 9:30 AM my Lingo adaptor kit showed up at my front door. And shortly before noon I received a call from the VP of customer care who since then has provided careful response by phone and email. Apparently on July 26 Lingo's ordering system got disconnected from it shipping and order fulfillment database and for some number of hours *ALL* incoming orders just went into a black hole.

the system was easy and transparent to install. However a simple diagram explaining the purpose of the 3 rj 11 jacks at the back off the box would help. At a future point the second jack will power a second voip channel independent of the first. The third marked line will allow the voip phone to go PSTN when the broadband connect is turned off.

Connectivity to cell phones leaves something to be desired otherwise it is pretty good. However there was a bad hiccup last week when I tried to dial motorola (847 area) . Recorded message to the affect that that number is not available now try again later. At first I thought there were some areas of US that Lingo would not connect me to. Fortunately that is incorrect. It turns out that there was a network config SS7 interconnection problem in Lingos network that was blocking calls to 800 number and certain other places. after about 3 hours THAT was fixed. Next day 800 numbers were out for a couple of hours pending some network capacity management issue. Since then its been OK.

The customer care vp put me on to a good engineer who answered questions. In turn the engineer at my request called dave hughes who grilled him about the technical capabilities of the lingo adaptor. We may see a couple of lingos show up in nepal eventually...definitely has more capability than the vonage device. have cancelled my vonage and am stuck with a $40 charge for the cisco ATA even though i'd used and paid for it for 18 months.

Finally Lingo is being done by primus telecommunications - not well known in the US but a company with a huge global optical network. For them the incremental cost of adding voip to their other lines of business is minute.

PS: According to the customer care VP, customer care is being migrated from india to canada.
The COOK Report on Internet Protocol, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA 609 882-2572 (PSTN) 415 651-4147 (Lingo) Subscription info & prices at http://cookreport.com/subscriptions.shtml Report on Economic Issues of PSTN vs Enterprise nets at: http://cookreport.com/13.06-07.shtml E-mail cook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx