[IP] more on Auto data arms race?

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stan Hanks <stan@xxxxxxx>
Date: August 13, 2004 2:05:23 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Auto data arms race?

Steven Critchfield <critch@xxxxxxxxxxx> sez:

Queue links to MegaSquirt and MegaJolt projects. You can already remove
a fair amount of the computer hardware from your computer and replace it
with software and hardware that you can control. The trick here will be
in integrating the airbag and other safty devices so one doesn't give up
safety for personal privacy.

It's *NOT* that easy...

I've been doing custom EFI systems for racing and street use since the late 80s, and while the availability of small cheap systems like MegaSquirt and SFI
really help, they're not appropriate for OBD cars.

Engine management is a very tricky art, and the "hard engineering" tradeoffs -- use of materials, specific mechanical configuration, etc -- that have to
be made are so undertaken *knowing* what the engine management system is
likely to be capable of doing. The risk: use the wrong EMS, burn a piston.
Or worse.

For racing applications, you can tune a system to provide specific responses under specific circumstances and accept the useful life tradeoffs with some aplomb, since you know the engine has to come apart every "N" hours anyway.
And for racing, no one cares about emissions.

The other place that replacing your OBD-II system will byte you is in the
DEQ inspection line. In most states, if you have a '96 or newer car, the
emissions check is simple: you drive up, they plug you in, read some values
and send you on your way. If you have an OBD-II car, and a non-OBD-II
engine management system, and they plug in to check it, well...

All that said, I deplore the invasiveness of the new systems. In my ex-wife's Subaru, if the gas cap hadn't been seated fully, the car would complain (OBD policing the "fuel evaporatation emissions" policy). After an accident, it didn't run right (one of the g-force side load sensors was on the fritz). The
litany of woe goes on and on...

Me? I'm fighting back in a different way. My cars are all pre-96. That's
likely not to change unless I find myself in a position where for tax
reasons I need to lease a 6001 lb. GVW vehicle :-)

Stan Hanks
Portland OR