[IP] more on Auto data arms race?

Technology running wild.

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robbie Honerkamp <robbie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 12, 2004 12:06:16 PM EDT
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IP] Auto data arms race?

David Farber wrote:

If insurance companies and law enforcement start making use of these
data collection systems in routine (non-accident) situations, one
can bet that an entire cottage industry will appear that is devoted
to modifying the collected data (and perhaps the data stored
in the car-based memory itself) by drivers who do not wish
their true driving behaviors to be known.  Calls for the
addition of GPS facilities to such equipment will only
accelerate this trend.  Of course, there will be attempts
made to better "lock down" the systems, and an "arms race"
will ensue.

The first step of this is already underway in California. The state is working on OBD-III, which appears to be OBD-II with a radio. The first use of this is to enforce emissions checks more than annually. Police can set up radios along the highway that read your VIN and emissions data as you drive by. Depending on how this is implemented, you might get a letter in the mail giving you ten days to have your car re-inspected. Or they might just fine you immediately for an emissions violation.

Of course, there are other problems with a car whose computer is accessible via radio. What other data could be pulled from the car by the police? Could you get a ticket in the mail for speeding based on data the police pulled randomly off of your car's computer? Could someone send malicious signals to your car that cause it to operate erratically? Naturally any system like this that is used for law enforcement will come with strict laws that prohibit tampering. So my car will have a computer in it that I could possibly go to jail for just accessing it.

While this isn't a Federal program yet (that I know of), if California implements this then its only a matter of time before other states (and the Fed. Gov't) start looking at it.

Robbie