RE: [council] Fwd: Update on "Expressions of Interest" Group

Good point Wolf. My support for this kind of effort should not be interpreted to mean that staff resources should be used.  If we go down that path, I think we will expand the resources problems we already have.

Chuck

From: KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 6:51 PM
To: Gomes, Chuck; stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx; council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AW: [council] Fwd: Update on "Expressions of Interest" Group

I understand the interest of potential applicants to have an EoI solution provided as soon as possible although the board has not yet decided upon, and I welcome this initiative. On the other hand the approach of this group formation looks a bit strange to me. From the membership structure they looks lik a GNSO WG (I wonder whether it has been discussed within the constituencies/SGs). They also request ICANN staff ressources which are needed for other activities already in the pipe. Has this already been accepted by ICANN? Ressources are rare.
Is this the way to organize the WG-model based work in future? I don't think so.

I thought there is a commitment of the GNSO as well as the board on how to deal with policy development issues. If we start it this way we may be confronted with more particular interest groups in future trying to bypass the GNSO.

Anyway, before we decide to get engaged we should be clear whether and to what extent the EoI is of interest for our work.

Comments welcome.

Best regards
Wolf-Ulrich