[council] Letter from the Interim At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC)

-----Original Message-----
From: Denise Michel [mailto:denisemichel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 8:48 AM
To: Bruce Tonkin
Subject: ALAC -- transmitted from Vittorio Bertola

Bruce Tonkin
Chair, GNSO Council

Bruce,

On behalf of the recently formed Interim At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC),
I would like to introduce myself and my ALAC colleagues and let you know
that we are looking forward to working with the GNSO Council and its
constituencies.  I also would like to officially request that ALAC liaisons
be accepted for participation on the Names Council, the Council's gTLD
Committee, the WHOIS Task Force, and the UDRP Task Force.

The ALAC is responsible for considering and providing advice on the
activities of ICANN as they relate to the interests of individual Internet
users (the "At-Large" community). The Board recently appointed the following
individuals to serve on the ALAC, of which I am the chair:

Pierre Dandjinou (Benin)
Clement Dzidonu (Ghana) (Vice Chair)
Izumi Aizu (Japan)
Xue Hong (China)
Vittorio Bertola (Italy)  (Chair)
Thomas Roessler (Germany)
Erick Iriarte Ahon (Peru) (Vice Chair)
Sebastián J. Ricciardi (Argentina)
Esther Dyson (United States)
Wendy Seltzer (United States)

Underpinning the ALAC will be a network of self-organizing, self-supporting
At-Large Structures throughout the world involving individual Internet users
at the local or issue level. The At-Large Structures (either existing
organizations or newly formed for this purpose) will self-organize into five
Regional At-Large Organizations (one in each ICANN region - Africa,
Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America/Caribbean, and North America). The
Regional At-Large Organizations will manage outreach and public involvement
and will be the main forum and coordination point in each region for public
input to ICANN.  The New Bylaws, which established the ALAC and authorize
its supporting At-Large organizations, call for the ALAC to eventually
consist of ten members selected by Regional At-Large Organizations,
supplemented by five members selected by ICANN's Nominating Committee. To
allow the ALAC to begin functioning immediately, the Transition Article of
the Interim Bylaws provided for the Board to appoint ten members (two from
each of ICANN's five regions) to an Interim ALAC.

The ALAC requests that the the following members serve in liaison positions
with the GNSO:  Thomas Roessler as a liaison to the GNSO Council and WHOIS
Task Force; Wendy Seltzer as a liaison to the gTLD Committee; and Hong Xue
as a liaison to the UDRP Task Force.  These liaisons are intended to assist
these groups by acting as an outreach resource and by providing advice from
the individual Internet user community perspective.  These liaisons also
will keep the ALAC and At-Large community apprised of relevant activities.

Again, we look forward to working with you and your colleagues, and await
your confirmation of the acceptance of these liaisons.  Should you have any
questions about this or other ALAC matters, I can be reached at
vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and Denise Michel, ICANN consultant who is assisting the
ALAC, can be reached at michel@xxxxxxxxxx

Warm regards,
Vittorio