sporadic acs characters problem with Mutt in Terminal.app

Normally, the acs characters in mutt work fine for me (usually using
Terminal.app on a Mac, running mutt on an OpenBSD Sparc64 machine).
$TERM is currently set to xterm-color (yeah, Thomas D.... I know), but I
believe I have experienced the same problem with TERM set to
xterm-xfree86. I don't use the Apple_Terminal ones because the one in
ncurses never seems to match up with the version of Terminal I'm using,
and I use multiple versions of it anyway.

I have an issue where occasionally, the ACS chars start getting rendered
strangely instead, like:

 mq>

quitting mutt resolves the issue.

Doing "set ascii_chars" and then "unset ascii_chars" doesn't resolve the
issue, neither does going into the editor and back out, or something
else that would redraw the screen. Quitting mutt and restarting it does
fix the problem.

Any thoughts?

Mutt 1.5.19 (2009-06-07)
Copyright (C) 1996-2009 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: OpenBSD 4.0 (sparc64)
ncurses: ncurses 5.2.20010224 (compiled with 5.2)
libiconv: 1.9
hcache backend: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December  3, 2003)
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
+DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
-USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_SMTP
-USE_SSL_OPENSSL  -USE_SSL_GNUTLS  -USE_SASL  -USE_GSS  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME  -CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
-EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
+HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  +USE_HCACHE
ISPELL="/usr/local/bin/ispell"
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/local/share/mutt"