Re: handling very large mailboxes

Hi,

* James wrote:

> I use procmail + mutt and am running into a problem that is limiting
> my usage of mutt. Currently procmail sorts some very high volume
> mailing lists into specific folders (mbox format). I'm using mutt as
> an IMAP client and when I add these mailboxes to my .muttrc file, mutt
> sometimes takes 5 to 10 minutes to fully load and sort all the
> messages.

Did you turn on header caching? Are you sure this isn't a network
problem? What version of mutt? What is large, btw?

> Worse, when the timer expires and mutt begins checking mailboxes for
> new messages, the client freezes until the check is done.

How long does that take? Mutt doesn't do anything in this case except
asking the IMAP server for mailbox status. Maybe the server needs a long
time to answer for huge folders?  If yes, then mutt can't do anything
about it. You need to raise $mail_check then to make it check less
often.

> Is there a way to "thread" or "background" the mail checking process
> in mutt so that I don't have to deal with this problem?

No, not really, sorry.

Rocco