Need a little help with save-hook

I've been using Mutt for a few weeks.  I'm impressed with the amount
of flexibility that Mutt offers, and for the most part, I've been
successful in adapting Mutt to my personal tastes.  But there's one
thing that I haven't been able to get quite right, and I'm hoping one
of you can offer some insight.

I use Mutt with three different IMAP accounts.  In general, I'd like
Mutt to save messages in ~/mail/messages.  BUT, when using one
particular IMAP account (call it "imaps://mail.example.com"), I'd like
the default save folder to be imaps://mail.example.com/messages
instead.

Put it another way, I'd the default save folder to be "=messages",
relative to the current value of $folder.

I've tried to do this with a combination of folder and save hooks.

My default folder-hook is

   folder-hook . 'set folder="~/mail"; \
       set record="~/mail/messages"; \
       set postponed="~/mail/postponed-msgs"; \
       set smtp_url= ... ; \
       set ssl_starttls=yes; \
       set from= ... ; \
       set pgp_sign_as= ...;'

(Above, "..." isn't a literal string -- it just means that I've
omitted the value, since the setting doesn't seem relevant to the
discussion at hand.)

The folder-hook for the IMAP account where I'd like to have the save
folder on the IMAP server.

   folder-hook imaps://me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \
     'set folder=imaps://me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/; \
      set record=imaps://me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/messages; \
      set smtp_url=smtp://me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; \
      set from= ...; \
      set pgp_sign_as=...'

Finally, I have one save hook:

   save-hook . =messages

This _almost_ works.  If I'm *not* reading mail at
imaps://mail.example.com/, mutt offers the save folder:

   Save to mailbox ('?' for list): =messages

which appends to ~/mail/messages.  This is exactly what I'd like Mutt
to do.

When I read mail at imaps://mail.example.com/, Mutt offers the
following:

   Save to mailbox ('?' for list): ~/mail/messages

If I change the line to

   Save to mailbox: =messages

Then mutt appends saved messages to imaps://mail.example.com/messages.

Before giving the "save" command, I've verified that
folder=imaps://mail.example.com/.

When reading mail at imaps://mail.example.com, how can I get Mutt to
offer "=messages" as the default save folder, instead of
"~/mail/messages"?  I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm just not
seeing it.

I'm using Mutt 1.5.19, compiled from source, on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve