Re: css/html email

On Monday, May 11 at 10:42 AM, quoth Jason Helfman:
> I have used the lynx autoview rule for years, however it doesn't
> seem to be translating well with Evolution, or css formats that are
> going to my lovely mutt.

Hmmm, I don't have trouble. I use w3m, though, so maybe I can help.

> Here is my autoview as it is now:

What are these lines from? ~/.mailcap? ~/.muttrc? You're mixing the
syntax for both, so it's hard to tell if you're doing that
intentionally or if you just don't know that the commands belong in
one file or the other.

> application/octet-stream; /home/jhelfman/.mutt/mutt.octet.filter %s;
> copiousoutput

You do NOT want this. What you probably want is to remove that line
from your mailcap and add the following line to your muttrc:

     mime_lookup application/octet-stream

What that does is causes mutt to select a mime-type for attachments
that are labeled as application/octet-stream based on their filename.

> text/x-vcard; /home/jhelfman/.mutt/mutt.vcard.filter %s; copiousoutput
> mime_lookup application/octet-stream

Wait, those are both lines in your mailcap file? Um, no, that
mime_lookup line goes in your muttrc, not your mailcap. And the
text/x-vcard line? That goes in your ~/.mailcap file, not your muttrc.

> text/html; /usr/bin/w3m -F -dump -T text/html %s;
> nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput

Okay, finally, the ONLY line in your mailcap that applies to your
situation. :)

Note that the nametemplate option you're specifying is redundant. It
achieves the exact same thing that the '-T text/html' option achieves.
Pick one or the other, you don't need both.

Here's what I use:

     text/html; w3m -T text/html; needsterminal
     test/html; w3m -I ${charset} -dump -T text/html; copiousoutput

Well, okay, my actual setup is slightly more complicated (because w3m
refuses to understand that my terminal width is more important than
the widths specified by tables in the email, and thus w3m's output can
sometimes exceed 80 columns. I have to use a sed script to "sanitize"
html). But that's the basic setup. I have yet to receive a message
that I can't render.

> auto_view text/html

Um, no.

My guess is that you're getting weird problems because you have mutt
commands in your mailcap (or you have mailcap commands in your
muttrc).

~Kyle
- --
As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of others we should
be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any Invention of ours,
                                                   -- Benjamin Franklin