Re: Maildir or mbox?

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 01:16:20PM +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> * Andrey Zhidenkov wrote:
>
> > I'm using mutt about 6 month. For this time I have about 5000 messages
> > in my mbox folder. What format is preffered for using with many
> > messages? Is Maildir faster? I read in this mailing list that someone
> > stores his mail in the folder, organized by years and month. I think
> > that is very good idea. Is it very difficult to do that?
>
> It depends on how you receive mail. If you use fetchmail (or the like)
> it's unlikely that you modify a folder during fetchmail is running and
> thus mbox likely is a bit faster. Otherwise maildir is the choice as it
> has no concurrency issues.

I guess this also concerns the filesystem in use.  Though not tested
myself, I think maildir is more suitable on a ReisorFS (for instance)
partition than on an EXT3 one.  Because one is dealing with thousands
of small files here, which is a nightmare to many FS.

--
There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.