Re: Maildir or mbox?

Hi,

* Andrey Zhidenkov wrote:

> I'm using mutt about 6 month. For this time I have about 5000 messages
> in my mbox folder. What format is preffered for using with many
> messages? Is Maildir faster? I read in this mailing list that someone
> stores his mail in the folder, organized by years and month. I think
> that is very good idea. Is it very difficult to do that?

It depends on how you receive mail. If you use fetchmail (or the like)
it's unlikely that you modify a folder during fetchmail is running and
thus mbox likely is a bit faster. Otherwise maildir is the choice as it
has no concurrency issues.

Sorting into folders can be done using an mbox-hook and 'set move=yes'
in .muttrc.

Rocco