Re: wrong charset

Hi,

    Sorry for the delay, but for some reason I didn't get the answer
to my post in my email.

> On Monday, May  4 at 05:05 PM, quoth Luis A. Florit:
> > I use a ISO-8859-1 encoded xterm in maemo, but :set ?charset
> > gives me charset="utf-8".
>
> Are you setting it in your config somewhere? (test it my running
> `mutt - -F /dev/null` and seeing what the value of $charset is
> there)

utf-8. No mater what I do...

But I have three charsets:

$charset=//TRANSLIT
?charset=utf-8

In fact, it seems that I am not able to change that ?charset
variable to ISO-8859-1.

> > I tried setting by hand LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE to pt_BR and such,
> > but no luck. No, pt_BR.ISO-8859-1 is not among the xterm locales.
>
> Okay, I think the first thing you need to do here (aside from ensure
> that you're not setting $charset manually somewhere) is to find out
> what locales your machine supports. Something like this will probably
> work:
>
>      locale -a | grep '^pt_BR'

Just pt_BR. But I don't want to change the default language, just the
encoding.

> Whatever it outputs, those are the values your computer (currently)
> understands, and so those are the values that LANG or the LC_*
> variables can be set to.

I see. But even if I set LC_ALL=pt_BR, I get the messages in
Portuguese but the encoding in UTF-8. Exactly the opposite that I
want.

> It's possible that if you really want your xterm to only display
> ISO-8859-1 characters, you may have to install the right character
> sets (how to do this is often distro-dependent).

But my xterm works perfectly with ISO-8859-1, for example, vim does.
That is not the problem, but that mutt just does not want to
understand the encoding.

> On the other hand, if your machine ALREADY correctly understands
> UTF8... go with it! UTF8 is far more capable than ISO-8859-1 or any
> other ISO charset.

Several years ago I tried UTF-8, but the vast majority (I mean, almost
100%) of the emails/texts/etc I read/save are ISO-8859-1 (that are not
correctly displayed in a UTF8 console). I don't need any of the
non-ISO characters in UTF-8.

> > I also tried setting charset, config_charset and assumed_charset to
> > ISO-8859-1, in the beginning and end of .muttrc, with no luck...
>
> What do you mean "no luck"? Did mutt refuse to allow you to set an
> alternate $charset value? If the value of $charset got reset, then
> either the value is being reset by some other part of your
> configuration, or your mutt is broken.

I can change at will the $charset, but that makes "tésté yá"
appear as "t\351st\351 y\341" instead of the correct "tésté yá".
The problem is that I cannot change the ?charset variable, that is
fixed in utf-8. How can I change that?

I think I can resume in two questions:

1) why ?charset=utf-8 if I am working in a ISO-8859-1 xterm?
2) why I am not able to change the ?charset by hand in .muttrc
or manually with a :set command?

    Thanks a lot for your efforts (and Derek's)!!