Re: problem with Mime headers

Kyle Wheeler schrieb:

On Tuesday, May  5 at 01:32 PM, quoth Christoph Kukulies:
During searching for a way to pretty print my Emails from mutt I found, that all messages (or at least the message under concern)
are stored from ISO-8859-1 to quoted-printable.

I don't understand... you mean they're *converted* into quoted-printable from ISO-8859-1?

Yes, they are converted to quoted printable in the saved file.

I tried various converters, especially "recode" and recode is complaing about some ungueltige Eingabe in data. (when I type =FC into stdin, recode behaves brave and issues an u-umlaut), so it's not the needs getting used to command line syntax of "recode".

I'm pretty sure recode is not what you want.

My *guess* is that you have unset $print_decode, so mutt is passing

Yes, that's the case. I don't have $print_decode.

raw message data to your $print_command. If you set $print_decode, mutt should convert all output into $charset as it gets passed to $print_command.

My questions are:

\1 What mechanism causes mutt to produce a quoted printable encoded copy of the message, when I save the file?

None.

Let me clarify: when you save a copy of a message somewhere, mutt leaves it AS IS (unless you use something like <decode-save>). So if

I don't have anything special WRT saving. But mutt definitely doesn't save the message as is. At least I think so. I would have to fish out the message next time from my inbox before mut gets hold on it.

OK, here is the content of the message from /var/spool/mail:
Dies ist ein Test mit Ãmläuten

This is how it shows in a mutt terminal window (putty):

Dies ist ein Test mit \334ml\344uten

And in the save message
Dies ist ein Test mit Ãmläuten

OK, no conversion took place, you're right. Strange though that the multipart mime-encoded message was converted (or did it arrive already that way?) I cannot reproduce that case at the moment.

the message was encoded with quoted-printable to begin with, it will stay that way.

\2 When I view the message in mutt, umlauts are shown as two byte characters, e.g. an u-umlaut is represented as \374. Would be nice, mutt would do that right away with the correct character set. Only when invoking the editor (vi) to
  write a reply, the characters are shown correctly.

Technically, that's not a question. ;)

But if mutt is displaying umlauts as byte-codes (e.g. \374) instead of as an umlaut or even as a masked unprintable character (displayed as a question mark), then your charset environment is incorrectly configured.

Let me guess, you set $charset manually, don't you. (Hint: that's

Yes, in .muttrc I have :
set charset="iso-8859-1"        # character set for your terminal

That's my output of locale:

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de_DE:de:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

almost always the wrong thing to do, for lots of reasons.)

Step 1: stop setting $charset
Step 2: set up your LANG environment variable correctly
Possible Step 3: correctly configure your terminal

~Kyle
Thanks.

--
Christoph