problem with Mime headers

During searching for a way to pretty print my Emails from mutt I found, that all messages (or at least the message under concern) are stored from ISO-8859-1 to quoted-printable. I tried various converters, especially "recode" and recode is complaing about some ungueltige Eingabe in data. (when I type =FC into stdin, recode behaves brave and issues an u-umlaut), so it's not the needs getting used to command line syntax of "recode".

Anyway, looking closer to the stored message I find this:

|This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
|this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

|--Boundary_(ID_nSHaJBsO42WhPK/6brziZw)

|--Boundary_(ID_MKUMWPz0I4J+Cb9RfTtFtg)

Then the quoted printable message text follows
with the next message boundary.

My questions are:

\1 What mechanism causes mutt to produce a quoted printable encoded copy of the message, when I save the file?

\2 When I view the message in mutt, umlauts are shown as two byte characters, e.g. an u-umlaut is represented as \374. Would be nice, mutt would do that right away with the correct character set. Only when invoking the editor (vi) to
  write a reply, the characters are shown correctly.

--
Christoph