Re: mailing lists and gmail with mutt

* Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2009-05-02 08:55:41 +0200]:

> Is there a way to tell Google to NOT do what _they_ think is the best
> for me?

No.  Like Microsoft or Apple, they will not listen to what the user
wants.

I don't imap gmail, because I don't like their folder layout, and they
won't let me change it.

So I pop it, and sort my mail locally.  I do not use gmail at all for
anything legal or sensitive.  They keep copies of everything, they say
as a 'convenience' to the uѕer, but mainly to keep their butts covered
with the governments of China and the United States.

To get around the gmail problem of not sending what they think is a
copy, I use a folder-hook to make a copy of mail sent and place the copy
in the folder I'm working from, or the catch-all 'Sent' folder.

Occasionally, I will actually log on to their site and delete everything
I can see.

One day later, moѕt 'conversations' will remain.

Think about it.

--
Dave