Re: no list-id header for mutt-user@xxxxxxxx

On 12Apr2009 10:30, Zhengquan Zhang <zhang.zhengquan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 08:34:14AM +0200, Markus Mueller wrote:
| > However,
| > if you look at all headers, 'h' as default in pagermode, you will most
| > likely find some unique header. Be it 'To:' or something else.
| > The mutt-users list also is quite distinguishable:
[...]
| > Sender: owner-mutt-users@xxxxxxxx

| > Sender probably is the best field for this purpose, as nobody besides the
| > admin can influence what is put there, whereas one could write mail
| > 'To: foo@invalid, mutt-users@xxxxxxxx'
|
| Thanks for the insight, I have a question, do you mean that only the
| sender header is only influenced by the admin but other headers can be
| rewritten by MTAs or others?

Pretty much. Sender can be written too. However, we're not defeating forgery,
we're trying to identify all mutt-users posts. The mailing list software
_always_ puts that header in, regardless of what people put in the to/cc/bcc
lines etc. So it is reliable in that sense.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Rules of Optimization:
Rule 1: Don't do it.
Rule 2 (for experts only): Don't do it yet.
- M.A. Jackson