Re: Compiling Mutt on a Macbook Pro and recommendation for mailing

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 07:47:24PM +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:
>> I got a MBP for Christmas (yippie) and am looking for a good howto on
>> compiling Mutt on it. I have been running 1.5.18 from HEAD, and would
>> like to continue. I don't want, at least initially, to install either
>> MacPorts or Fink. I'm also looking for a good Mac mailing list that
>> leans toward the admin side of things.
>
> Without MacPorts or Fink, the installation instructions are really the
> same as for any barebone Unix system.  Enjoy.
>
> (In other words, you *really* want MacPorts.  Or Fink.)

OK, I installed MacPorts and then pulled in mercurial with

$ sudo port install mercurial

After that, I did the following:

$ mkdir ~/src
$ cd ~/src
$ hg clone http://dev.mutt.org/hg/mutt
$ cd mutt
$ hg update -C HEAD
$ ./prepare -prefix=/opt/local/ --with-ssl --enable-hcache --enable-imap
--disable-fcntl --enable-flock --with-regex

This bombed out with
checking for gdbm_open... no
checking for BerkeleyDB > 4.0... no
configure: error: You need Tokyo Cabinet, QDBM, GDBM or Berkeley DB4 for
hcache

So,

$ sudo port install gdbm

Same error again.