Re: sendmail?

Grant Edwards wrote:

> > This is also false.
>
> I used to have mail rejected because the sending domain didn't
> have an MX record.  After I set up my MX record, those systems
> that used to reject mail started to accept mail.

This anecdote based on your experience does not mean it is a
"requirement" (as suggested by jkinz) to have an MX record in
order to send mail to most mailers.

> > Sending email from a domain without an MX record is perfectly
> > acceptable.
>
> That depends.  Some mail servers accept it, soem don't.

Of course.  Some mail servers follow most RFCs while many completely
ignore them.  To state this is a truism and not under discussion.  I
simply stated the practice of sending email from a domain with no MX
record is perfectly acceptable; I should have qualified this with "on
most mail systems".

> > And, when you receive email from most major mailers (i.e.
> > gmail), the connecting system is not a valid MX.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "the connecting system
> is not a valid MX".  The requirement in question is that the
> sending domain has an MX record -- I don't think it has
> anything to do with the connecting client machine.

jkinz mentioned the connecting "system"; that is to say, the connecting
client.  That client needn't be the MX for the domain from which email
is arriving.

> Back when I ran a mail server, I would have guessed that 5-10%
> of servers required that the sending domain have an MX record.

5-10%.  Sounds like the exception rather than the rule or "requirement"
:-)

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@xxxxxxxxxx>