New mail not found - what to check?

I have just moved my mail to a new system, it's being delivered by
exim4 on a new ubuntu 8.10 installation.

For some reason mutt isn't seeing new mail arriving.  It is arriving
OK and the flags (i.e. the 'N' against new messages) are OK but I'm
not being notified in the status line and I'm not able to 'c' to
mailboxes where new mail has arrived.

I'm using mbox format (which I know is more likely to have this issue)
but I want to stay with mbox if I possibly can.

It's my own system and I (obviously) have full access to the exim4
configuration, the file system configuration, etc.  The incoming mail
is being stored on a local file system so there are no nfs issues or
anything like that as far as I know.

What should I be looking at to try and sort this out?

--
Chris Green