Re: how to set up authentication

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:48:40AM -0500, zirath wrote:

>>>     set smtp_url="smtp://user:password@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/"
>>
> I upgraded (using backports) to version 1.5.18 and added the "set
> smtp_url" to the .muttrc. I'm now getting an error message "no
> authenticators available".

Try

set ssl_force_tls = yes
set ssl_starttls = yes

If the server of your provider is "server.provider.com", and if your
mail account is for another/your own domain, like "yourdomain.com",
and if your username/local part for that is user, it might have to
look weird like this:

set smtp_url="smtp://user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:password@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/"

Try

telnet server.provider.com smtp

and enter "EHLO" (without the quotes, "QUIT" to quit). If the server
doesn't offer STARTTLS in response to EHLO but requires it, it is
probably misconfigured --- "probably" because I don't know what the
RFCs say about this, but if STARTTLS is required, it won't appear to
make sense not to offer it.