Re: Retrieving select PGP keys

* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [20081121 16:57 -0600]:
> On Friday, November 21 at 05:18 PM, quoth Jorge Luis:
> > I want to auto-retrieve PGP public keys for only certain messages.
> > I don't want to fill my keyring with keys from mailing lists, for
> > example, but I do want to retrieve and verify keys from private
> > correspondents.
>
> This can be accomplished pretty easily using a message hook and some
> extra variables.
>
> First, put your pgp decode commands in custom variables, like so:
>
>      set my_pgpdecode="gpgwrapper.sh --charset utf-8 --status-fd=2
> --no-verbose --quiet --batch --output - %f"
>
>      set my_pgpdecrypt="gpg --status-fd=2 --no-verbose --quiet --batch
> --output - %f"
>
> Now, store the special argument:
>
>      set my_pgplookuparg="--keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve=1"
>
> Then create a few message hooks, like this:
>
>      message-hook . 'set pgp_decode_command="$my_pgpdecode $my_pgplookuparg"'
>      message-hook . 'set pgp_decrypt_command="$my_pgpdecrypt
> $my_pgplookuparg"'
>      message-hook ~l 'set pgp_decode_command="$my_pgpdecode"'
>      message-hook ~l 'set pgp_decrypt_command="$my_pgpdecrypt"'
>
> I haven't tested that; you may have to set up more hooks for the other
> pgp-related commands (pgp_verify_command, etc), but that's the basic
> idea: messages from mailing lists don't get the auto-key-retrieve
> keyserver option. What do you think?

Thanks, Kyle.

The gpg.rc that ships with my distribution's mutt includes

set pgp_getkeys_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --fetch-keys
hkp://subkeys.pgp.net"

The command needs some tweaking; it leaves my screen in a disarrayed
state, but I think what I need--and what you put me on to--is a message
hook that simply excludes ~l.
--
JL <lists@xxxxxxxx>
This message optimized for teletypes.