Re: Rolling in sidebar, other mutt-ng type bits?

Ofcourse, I forgot to attach that muttrc file.

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 04:03:44PM +0000, tchomby wrote:
> Now here's a weird thing. I'm using mutt 1.5.18 right now (on ubuntu 8.10) to
> read my gmail account over imap, I don't have the sidebar patch installed,
> and
> I'm finding that if I press 'y' I get taken to a list of all my imap folders
> (these have not been listed by me in the muttrc, mutt is finding them itself
> on
> the imap server) and beside each folder it's telling me how many unread mails
> are in the folder. What the? Since when was mutt able to do this?
>
> Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2584/muttrk6.png
>
> (Take a look at that mail volume by the way, and you'll see why some of the
> earlier suggestions such as pressing '.' or 'c' then return would not work
> for
> me).
>
> I've attached my muttrc file, not sure which part of it (if any) is enabling
> this feature, but there you go. It does exactly what I was looking for when I
> was trying to use the sidebar patch and asking what other people do, I just
> didn't know mutt could do this.
>
> Regarding the biff programs that someone mentioned ... I went looking for
> linux
> mail notification programs. There are many out there, most of which look
> rubbish, there's a few funny ones too, such as opening a cd tray when new
> mail
> arrives, or flashing keyboard LEDs when new mail arrives.
>
> In short, I settled on gnubiff for my non-gmail accounts that do not have
> lots
> of folders, I didn't find any that could handle my gmail account, with the
> large number of folders. To be useful it would have to at least present me a
> list of all the folders and how many unread mails in each, without me having
> tell it about every folder one by one, and nothing can do that. But mutt is
> now
> doing that for me so it doesn't matter. There are a large number of
> gmail-specific mail notifiers out there for linux that I did not look at
> though
> (I was looking for imap ones).
>
> For my non-gmail accounts which do not have a large number of different
> folders
> or a high-volume of email, I found that gnubiff works best, it does the job
> nicely, although it's not perfect. It's nice to have a program that runs in
> the
> background and just tells me if I have mail, so I don't have to keep opening
> my
> mail client to check.
>
> Gnubiff and mail-notification seem to be the two main choices. Here's a
> comparison in case anyone's interested:
>
> Both of these programs use what seems a bizarrely huge amount of memory for
> what they do -- almost 10mb, when they're just sitting there waiting to check
> email.
>
> gnubiff http://gnubiff.sourceforge.net/

> [...]
# Gmail
# -----
set imap_user = me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
set imap_pass = password
set smtp_url = smtp://me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:587/
set smtp_pass = password
set from = me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
set realname = me
set folder = imaps://imap.gmail.com:993
set spoolfile = imaps://imap.gmail.com:993/INBOX
set postponed= +[Gmail]/Drafts
set header_cache=~/.mutt/cache/headers
set message_cachedir=~/.mutt/cache/bodies
set certificate_file=~/.mutt/certificates

set move = no
set sort = threads
set sort_aux = last-date-received
set imap_check_subscribed

# Dealing with HTML messages and attachments (Word files, images, PDFs...)
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Deal with HTML email and attachments via lynx.
# Note: this requies the following line to be in your .mailcap file:
# text/html; lynx -dump -force_html  %s;  needsterminal; copiousoutput
set implicit_autoview
auto_view text/html  application/x-pgp-message
set mailcap_path="~/.mailcap"
# To deal with word documents via antiword put this in your .mailcap file:
#application/msword; antiword %s ; copiousoutput
# You could also add these lines to your .mailcap file to tell mutt how to
# deal with some other attachments.
# application/pdf; acroread %s
# image/jpeg; xv %s
# image/gif; xv %s &
# image/GIF; xv %s &
# image/JPG; xv %s &
# image/jpg; xv %s &

# Address book
# ------------
set alias_file="~/.muttalias"
source $alias_file
set reverse_alias # Use names from my own address book, if they exist

# Pager view
# ----------
# Pad the screen at the end of the message with ~ to indicate the end of file
set tilde
# Use up and down arrows to scroll up and down with a message
bind pager <up> previous-line
bind pager <down> next-line
# Message headers in pager view
# -----------------------------
ignore * # First, ignore all headers.
# In the next line we specify which ones we'd like to see.
unignore From: To Reply-To Subject X-Mailer X-Mailing-List Posted-To
X-Newsreader Cc Date Organisation Organization
#Order in which the headers are presented.
hdr_order From: Date: To: Cc: Subject

# Color settings
# --------------
# From the Woodnotes guide:
# > In general, this provides a black background, white text, attachment labels
# > in yellow, quoted text in green, and deleted messages in red. In addition,
# > email addresses and URLs are highlighted in bright colors in the message
# > body.
color normal    white black
color attachment brightyellow black
color hdrdefault cyan black
color indicator black cyan
color markers   brightred black
color quoted    green black
color signature cyan black
color status    brightgreen blue
color tilde     blue black
color tree      red black

color index     red black ~D
color index     magenta black ~T

# Bright colours in message headers.
color header    brightgreen black ^From:
color header    brightcyan black ^To:
color header    brightcyan black ^Reply-To:
color header    brightcyan black ^Cc:
color header    brightblue black ^Subject:

# Highlight email addresses in message bodies.
color body      brightblue black [\-\.+_a-zA-Z0-9]+@[\-\.a-zA-Z0-9]+

# Highlight URLs in message bodies.
color body      brightblue black (https?|ftp)://[\-\.,/%~_:?&=\#a-zA-Z0-9]+