Re: Unicode and Mutt

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 02:50:40PM +0100, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> * Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [20081103 14:03]:
> > I saved a few messages to mutt folders that had Russian or Asian
> > Characters in the subject line. Now when I look at those saved messages
> > the Russian/Asian characters are no longer displayed. Is there any way
> > to make mutt work with UTF-8 so that email message text does not get
> > screwed up?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> mutt (at least the version I have) works fine with Unicode characters
> as long as your terminal and LANG settings handle it. I run mutt in
> urxvt, and with the font "xft:DejaVu Sans Mono-10". This does display
> most kanji, chinese and cyrillic characters I have come across. LANG
> is set to en_GB.utf8.
>
> HTH,

Did you try saving the messages and verifying that the saved messages
still display properly?  Where is LANG set? I am using xterm and I wonder
if a yum update could have changed those settings.

I am currently reading the book _Unicode Explained_ by Jukka K. Korpela,
and getting Unicode to work across the desktop is more involved than I
originally thought.