Re: mime type when adding attachment

On 2008-11-03, bill lam wrote:
> When I attach an excel file, its mime type is automatically set
> "application/excel", while recipient has no problem (they use
> outlook), my mailcap has not associate that with any spreadsheet
> program, thus mutt cannot open it.  My question is how does mutt
> determine mime type when adding attachment so that I could
> change that
> for excel file to "application/vnd.ms-excel"  which seem
> recognised by
>   both gnumeric and openoffice.

Chapter 5 of the manual deals with MIME:
http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html#mimesupport

In particular, "2. MIME Type configuration with mime.types"
(http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html#mime-types) says:
"When you add an attachment to your mail message, Mutt searches
your personal mime.types file at ${HOME}/.mime.types, and then
the system mime.types file at /usr/local/share/mutt/mime.types
or /etc/mime.types

The mime.types file consist of lines containing a MIME type and
a space separated list of extensions. For example:

application/postscript          ps eps
application/pgp                 pgp
audio/x-aiff                    aif aifc aiff

[...]

You can change the MIME type that Mutt assigns to an attachment by
using the edit-type command from the compose menu (default: ^T).
[...]" or by modifying the mime.types file.

Regards.