synchronization of two maildirs

I receive my mail at my desktop and would like to read messages from the
laptop. Right now, I just ssh from the laptop and run mutt. It works
great!

I am going to a different place for couple months where the network
bandwidth is very poor. Ssh+mutt will not be very responsive. So I am
looking at programs that would synchronize two maildirs. Looked at isync
(mbsync) but that seems to need an IMAP (am I right?). Any other
programs that can work for me. If not, I may end up writing my own!

TIA,
Malahal.