Re: Rolling in sidebar, other mutt-ng type bits?

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:03:24PM +0100, tchomby wrote:
> It's to solve the problem where you are subscribed to a large number
> of email lists, for example, and filter mail from each list into its
> own folder, then you don't want to have to open each folder just to
> see if there's anything new in it. What's the best solution in mutt?

Dunno about best, but I've long been content with just pressing '.' for
an update of mailboxes with new mail. Granted, only the first 8 - 10 fit
on the status line, but they're in the priority order given in .muttrc.
It hardly matters if there's also mail in the 15th most interesting
list, if I have'nt yet looked in the 10 most important.

A pseudo-dialogue box thingy displaying the number of new mails would
only provide irrelevant data, since it's the number current when I reach
that folder which counts, and that's available on the status line. How
many are there when I'm preoccupied with a more important folder is of
interest only to Heisenberg's cat, I think.

Priority order also allows folder changing by "c <CR>" alone, since mutt
knows which folder is next. If there's no fresh mail, it's neither
listed nor opened.

Sometimes it's only not knowing how many unread mails are in there which
gives me the courage to open the folder. (Thank heavens for
thread-delete.)

Erik

--
The universe is ruled by letting things take their course.  It cannot be
ruled by interfering.