Re: Encoding problem

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 09:09:43AM +0200, Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote:
> When I create a new message everything works fine. But when I try to
> enter again the editor (gvim) to continue editing or answer a message
> the special characters (polish ones) get garbled.

I made the same change the other day (well, from iso-8859-15 to utf-8) and
experienced something similar.

Turned out the signature files I had were still encoded with iso-8859-15,
which caused the edior (Emacs in my case) to decide the files were actually
iso-8859-1 rather than utf-8. reencoding the signature files solved the
problem.

If that's not the issue, then try and find out what the actual file
encoding is of the temporary files that mutt and vim write. (Use the 'file'
command for that.) That way, you can figure out where it goes wrong. The
problem must be that at some point a file is written in one encoding and
read in another. Figuring out where exactly that happens will help you
solve your problem.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers