Re: mutt tmp files

Thus spake Kyle Wheeler [10/01/08 @ 09.12.14 -0500]:
> On Wednesday, October  1 at 09:13 AM, quoth dv1445@xxxxxxxxx:
> > Hmm.  Mutt has *always* left plenty of files behind for me.
> > Starting with 1.4.something and all the way into 1.5.18.  On OSX
> > Panther, Tiger, and Leopard.  It leaves things in the folder I
> > defined as the tmpdir.  Usually the files are empty, but sometimes
> > they are saved states of mails I was writing.
> >
> > These files always have a name that looks something like:
> >
> > mutt-hostname-501-somenumbers-somemorenumbers
> >
> > I manually clean them out once in a while.  I thought this was
> > normal.  Is mutt bugging out on the Mac?
>
> Files of that name pattern are from composing a message, and *should*
> be deleted when the message is sent.
>
> Do they have a ~ at the end of them, maybe? They might be tmp files
> that your *editor* creates while editing your messages (which,
> obviously, mutt wouldn't know about).

No, no '~' or other backup-filey kind of suffix or prefix.  I use vim for
editing, and have not---as far as I know---tweaked any vim setting that deals
with backups.  (Doing other things in vim does not leave stuff anywhere that I
know about, for instance, except a .swp file during a crash or aborted session).

-gmn