Re: Unexpected network error

On Friday, September 26 at 03:23 PM, quoth Ravi Uday:
>> I also just loaded up my copy of VirtualBox to check out Microsoft
>> Outlook 2000 myself. The default setting for new accounts is to check
>> for new messages every 10 minutes, and it's *impossible* to change
>> that setting to less than 1 minute (you can see a screen shot of the
>
> Well I am not mistaken. I dont know which version you are using or looked at:
> Here is mine : MS Office Outlook 2003 (11.8...) SP3
>
> And in there I can clearly set it at 1 minute.
> (Goto : Tools->Send/Receive --> Send-Receive-Settings --> Define
> Send/Receive groups)
> In there you can see the least allowed is 1 min.

Which is EXACTLY WHAT I SAID. It's impossible to set it to less than 1
minute. You said you were configuring your Outlook to check every 20
seconds, which is technically impossible by your own admission.

> I also spoke with network-admin and he confirmed its in the order of
> secs.

60 seconds is "on the order of secs".

> Practically, I also asked my colleague to send me a email. And within
> 20-30secs it was there in my Outlook.

That's got nothing to do with anything. The 20-30 second delay could
easily be how long it takes to deliver email, and Outlook could easily
be using the IMAP IDLE extension (or whatever the equivalent is in the
MAPI protocol), which would mean that the mail client gets notified
the very moment that email arrives.

Mutt also supports the IDLE extension, and can do the exact same thing
you just observed Outlook do, and mutt can do that even with $timeout
set to 600, because IDLE doesn't rely on the client re-checking for
new email. IDLE *informs* the client of new mail *unasked*. It can be
thought of as a "push" protocol.

Let me say that again: the IDLE extension means that your client tells
the server "let me know when new mail comes", which is different from
periodically checking for new mail.

> Well most commonly all your terminals(PCs) will be wired to a VLAN
> operating over a catalyst giga-bit switches. It has the capacity to
> switch packets at x-gigs per secs and we are here talking of kb's of
> mail data. Its negligence IMO.

<sigh> You didn't read what I wrote. I'm talking about load on the
server, not bandwidth. The fanciness of your network is *irrelevant*
to my point.

~Kyle
- --
They say marriages are made in Heaven. But so is thunder and
lightning.
                                                      -- Clint Eastwood