Re: mutt eats tabs

> > I used command "mutt lintan2@xxxxxxxxxxxx < patch" to send myself an email.
> > And then I used mutt "v" and "s" command to save it as a file, say
> > patch.saved.
> >
> > I noticed that all the tabs in file "patch" are replaced by blanks
> > in "patch.saved". I tested that the "patch" can be applied
> > correctly but the "patch.saved" can not. Then I manually replaced
> > all the blanks in "patch.saved" with tabs, and then it can be
> > applied without an error.
> >
> > my muttrc file is only a few lines:
> >
> > set send_charset="us-ascii:utf-8"
> >
> > set editor="vi"
> >
> > set spoolfile=imaps://username@server:993/INBOX
> > set folder=imaps://username@server:993
> >
> > # Default From:
> > my_hdr From: lintan2@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Thanks for the clear description.  I can't argue with your
> observations.  I can't replicate them with my setup, though.  I
> created a file containing a paragraph of text indented by tabs and
> mailed it to myself as you did with your patch.  I saved the
> received message using "v" and "s", also as you did.  The tabs were
> still there.
>
> I also saved the message to a new mbox folder, "test_folder", using
> "s" in the index view, and verified that the tabs were still there.
> Then I quit that mutt and started a new one like this:
>
>    mutt -F /dev/null -f test_folder
>
> I executed all the configuration commands you listed above.  Then I
> saved the message again using "v" and "s".  The tabs are still
> there.
>
> I'm using mutt 1.5.17.
>
> I'm afraid I can't help.  Maybe someone else on the list can
> replicate this and/or explain what's going on.

Thank you sooooo much for the effort in replicating my problem.
I am using the latest stable 1.4.2.3 version.  I will try 1.5.17.

Would you mind me sending you (not the mailing list) a small patch file, and
you can see if it contains tabs? Maybe this way, we can at least figure out if
the problem is in the sending process or the receiving process.

Lin