Re: Configuring sendmail on Mac OS X (Leopard)?

On 07Sep2008 13:23, Peter Davis <pfd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| To wrap this up, I did finally get sendmail working, as this message
demonstrates.
[...snip...]
| Finally, I had to change the sendmail command in my .muttrc tp specify the
"From:" user:

| set sendmail = "/usr/sbin/sendmail -f pfd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -t" # how to deliver
mail

Might I suggest that you remove the "-t" and add "-oi", thus:

  set sendmail = "/usr/sbin/sendmail -f pfd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -oi" # how to deliver
mail

The -t says to read targets from the headers; this is wrong.  Mutt (and
any MUA) will put the delivery targets on the sendmail command line for
you, and the headers are not (and should not be) consulted.  The headers
were consulted (perhaps) when you composed the message.  However, if you "b"
(bounce/re-send) a message, then the headers are definitiely _not_ where
the message should go. There are plenty of variations on that example.

The point is that mutt knows where the message should go and will tell
sendmail; sendmail should not be rummaging in the message content for
other stuff to gratuitously add to your/mutt's instructions.

The "-oi" says to ignore a lone dot on a line, which otherwise is treated as
the end of the message, quietly truncating your message.

It is very common to see "sendmail -t" in scripts all over the net, and
it is almost invariably wrong.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

One of the guys in my homebrew club is a mailman. He says that one of the
requirements to work for the post office is to be able to work the slide on a
9mm while laughing.     - Phillip J. Birmingham