email chess

Years ago, running Window$, I used an application which automated the
process of playing chess via email.  I don't remember the details, but
an email with a chess game file (.pgn ?) would launch an application
similar to xboard, and the chess application would create a game file
(.pgn ?)  for mailing.  The automation did away with almost all of the
hassle.

Is there a Linux package (or perhaps an extension to mutt) which
facilitates playing chess via email?

Alternatively, is there a good HOWTO on email chess?

RLH