Re: Basic questions from newbie

On 2008-09-05, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I must be missing something.  How is either the <copy-message> or
><decode-copy> command not a "save this message as a text file"
> command?

It is different if the file already exists and is not-empty.

>> I like the cat method best. I should have thought of just using the editor.
>
> The <copy-message> command, bound to C by default, should be the
> same as piping the message to "cat > foo.txt".  The <decode-copy>
> command, bound to <Esc>C by default, should be the same a piping
> with 'pipe_decode' set.

I won't contest whether they _should_ be the same, but I will
claim they're not the same.  The <copy-message> command appends
the message to the file assuming it's an mbox format mail
folder.  "| cat >foo.txt" just saves writes the message to file.

If the file exists and is not empty, th two operations are not
the same.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! !!  I am having fun!!!
                                  at