Re: Basic questions from newbie

On 2008-09-05, Charles Howard <incubando@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > From: kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > On Friday, September  5 at 02:42 PM, quoth Charles Howard:
> >> How do I export emails to text files in the current or another dir ?
> >> I mean the message headers and body as plain text, not attachments.
> >>
> >> `Export' is pine terminology for this. Is there a different word in mutt?
> >
> > I don't know that there's an explicit word for doing this, but the way
> > I would do it is via  (usually bound to the | key). With
> > that binding, here's what I'd type:
> >
> >      |cat> foo.txt
> >
> > Exactly what ends up in foo.txt depends on the $pipe_decode setting.
> >
> > Another way to do it is to set $mbox_type to "mbox" and then save (or
> > copy) the message to foo.txt (when mutt asks, tell it that yes you
> > want to create the mailbox). Granted, it'll technically be in mbox
> > format, but for a single message, that's essentially exactly what you
> > want.
> >
> > Another way to do it is to use the message editor (usually bound to
> > the e key). Once the message is loaded up in your favorite text
> > editor, you can save it wherever you like.
> >
> > I guarantee there are several other ways to do it. But there's no
> > direct "save this message as a txt file" command, if that's what
> > you're after; though you can create one with a macro if you need it.

I must be missing something.  How is either the <copy-message> or
<decode-copy> command not a "save this message as a text file"
command?

> Terrific! Thank you very much.
>
> I like the cat method best. I should have thought of just using the editor.

The <copy-message> command, bound to C by default, should be the
same as piping the message to "cat > foo.txt".  The <decode-copy>
command, bound to <Esc>C by default, should be the same a piping
with 'pipe_decode' set.

Regards,
Gary