Re: extract header from current message (to pass to shell)?

* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-26-08 13:55]:

> A folder-hook? Hmmm...
>
>      source "awk '{print \"folder-hook . \\\"<delete-pattern>~h References:
> \\\",$1}'|"
>
> Just a thought, anyway. Seems a bit excessive, though. Much easier to
> just have your MDA delete those messages, rather than have mutt do it
> (that file will get big *fast*).

perhaps use procmail to obtain/store the message-id and limit the size
or number of lines in the storage file.  I maintain a copy of the last
90 days of mail using procmail, but the same could be applied for this
task.

my backup recipe:

# -------------------------------------------------------
:0 c
$MAILDIR/backup

:0 ic
| `find ~/mail/backup -maxdepth 1 -type f -name 'msg.*' -mtime +90 -delete`

# -------------------------------------------------------

an example of using/getting the message-id:

# -------------------------------------------------------
# remove duplicates ## from man procmailex examples ##
# 12-13-2002
LOCKFILE = msgid.cache.lock

:0 Whc: msgid.lock
| $FORMAIL -D 16384 msgid.cache

LOCKFILE

the number before msgid.cache is the number of entries in the file.  I
believe that this would fit your purpose and you could call it from a
mutt macro.  You would need a mutt macro to inject the message-ids
that were pertinent rather than capturing all as I do above.